Sunday, November 14, 2010

A long due post

So, it appears as if I've abandoned my blogging efforts. In reality, I actually started to get a life and now I don't have as much time to devote to mildly amusing musings about Russian culture. Firstly, I've begun teaching English to one Czech guy at the embassy here three times a week. He's cool, and it's nice to get back into teaching, albeit slowly. I also heard about a position teaching at a local university here so I'm going next week to learn more and talk with the director. It would start next term, in February. I'll keep you all updated on that. Just have to prove that I'm not spending all day sitting at home, watching TV in foreign languages.

Other news: I spent all last week meeting four local Russian girls whom I found through an online language exchange forum. The first girl I met, named Elina, is by far my favorite and she is helping me learn basic Russian. Every day we meet via Skype and have a little lesson, and on Fridays we are going to cafes and having a longer lesson and chatting. It's so nice to know a Russian and ask them things about the culture and language! Elina studies at university here and she also looks to improve her English conversation with me. I really miss talking with girls, so having her around makes everything a little better and more normal. I felt so proud on Friday because as we were walking back to the metro, she locked arms with me, as Russian girlfriends do. The whole time I was thinking "Yes! I'm in! I have a Russian friend." Thinks are really looking up :-)

Now the only thing that would complete this Russian life is a cat. I have been searching for shelters and I found one, but it turns out that it is located some 60km from Moscow with no train or bus to get there. Since we don't have a car, that's bad news for us. Last night, I found another shelter that was within Moscow city limits, but is just as unreachable by public transport. I AM NOT BUYING A CAR JUST SO I CAN ADOPT A FREAKIN' CAT! Maybe it will be possible to borrow one of Petr's colleague's cars for this purpose. I don't know but I'm getting frustrated. However, Petr promises we'll have one before Christmas. Here's to hoping!

I'm holding my plate below the picture frame. It's classier.
Right now we're hanging out in the flat because the weather's nasty and rainy outside. It's been a quiet weekend and we haven't gone anywhere interesting, so I've got no new pictures to put up. Instead, I'll post a picture of me and Ondra, at the party held at the Embassy on October 28th to celebrate Czech independence. It was my first time at such an official event at our embassy, so I wasn't sure what to do. Petr was occupied with the ambassador the whole time so I mostly just walked around smiling my American smile, which got me a lot of business cards from strange men. I've got to stop that. The professional photographer at the event kept sneaking photos of me whilst I was eating or staring into space. I felt like the paparazzi were after me, and not in a glamourous way either. At least there was free food and booze:-)

On a similar note, Petr spent all Thursday and Friday with the ambassador and the Czech president, who came for a speech at a local bank. He was even out until after midnight, performing his duties, which involved everything from helping execute planned excursions and meals for the president to toasting to vodka with him. Pretty sweet, huh? We now have several of Mr. President's books, one of which is signed. You're impressed, right? Actually, you're Googling who the Czech president is right now, because you've never heard of him. That's ok- while your at it you can check Wikipedia for his views on global warming as an anti-free-market invention. Moving on........

We're going to a Georgian restaurant tonight with a guy from the Czech center. I've never had Georgian food, so I'm super excited!!! I think I'll take pictures of my food like a Japanese tourist and post them here. Yes, yes I will.

1 comment:

  1. Ahoj Megan, so - you have the Czech president books? We have a picture of the American president and the detail of his hand in Hradčanské Square in Prague Castle! What is more?
    Wow, I see you have a lot of experiences to impress and stun your ordinary friends :-) It's great to hear you have friends there and you are busy with both teaching and studying.
    Lenka

    ReplyDelete