Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Russian
I'm trying not to be a hater, but every time I pick up my Russian textbook, or study with my friend Elina, I want to throw the book across the room and pick up my Czech text instead. I just don't like it. I wish it wasn't true, but I can't help myself. I don't like how it sounds and I don't like how I have to contort my mouth to make sounds like ы ш ль- ы especially, which to me mimics the noise that people with cerebral palsy make when they want something. Czech has become this comfortable thing for me; I like the sounds and I spent a long time teaching my mouth how to make them. I guess this wasn't always the case. I used to think Czech sounded harsh and I couldn't say ch, ě, ň and ř (ok, in certain combinations I still can't) but no matter how much I tell myself that Russian will grow on me like Czech did, I can't help but feel like it's an invader being forced on me and getting between me and my Czech. Czech and I are in a relationship Russian, and you're the third wheel!!! Perhaps the worst part is that, while I generally feel stupid trying to speak a foreign language, Russian reduces me to feeling like a 2nd grader again as I learn to read and write for a second time. Someone help me not to feel enraged by this. I really need to learn Russian for practical reasons, but at the moment it's like pulling eyelashes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You should make little labels for things around the house again. I imagine you've probably already done this though...
ReplyDeletePerhaps just embrace the 2nd grade feeling. Wear pigtails and MaryJanes with ruffled socks. Sip chocolate milk from a straw. ;)
Either that or learn Russian curses to shout between Russian sentences you are trying to learn. That might make you feel better. I would love to hear it!
No labels yet, actually. Maybe I've repressed some horrible memories from my early elementary education and learning Russian is causing them to resurface. Lovely, I can take that to therapy with me :-) But remember how much learning cursive sucked? IT IS MORE EVIL IN RUSSIAN!
ReplyDeleteYeah-- I can imagine frustrating. The other day I was writing "caesar" and "italian" on little one oz. cups of salad dressing and after writing both words more than 20 times I swear I was spelling them incorrectly. They looked foreign to me. It really really frustrated me, which is silly, but I can't imagine actually looking at foreign letters in a foreign language!! I can imagine very agrivating!
ReplyDeleteUpdate from Tim and Bonnie in Boise. Yes, it was a very busy holiday season and in in fact a busy 2010. Now back to more weddings. My dgt. Lori announced her engagement to Mark in Nov. and they will be married in July. Scott, also announced his engagement to Jeanie on Xmas with no date yet. What a surprise with your brothers up coming wedding. All is well in Boise. Warming up a bit, in the 50's today. Last weekend we were in McCall enjoying the ice sculptures and did some cross country skiing. We have been active at the Cathedral of the Rockies belonging to a small group, sure is different from your great description of the Orthodox Church. I am just catching up on your blogs which sound amazing. Tomorrow is Valentines Day and we will spend a romantic evening with friends in the traditional way, hopefully with chocolates and Roses. How about you? You may have to introduce Petr to this special day. Our best to the three of you. Love, Bonnie P.S.sad news, Chef Roland died unexpectantly, and his restaurant is closed, no more authentic cajun food in Boise.
ReplyDelete